With the continual rise in consumer healthcare costs, the need for medical debt collection professionals remains constant. Staying informed on the latest industry practices is an essential component of collection success. Each year, The Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) provides an opportunity for collection professionals to expand their industry knowledge through educational sessions and networking events alongside an exhibit hall showcasing cutting-edge products and services at the MGMA annual conference.
MGMA 2017 takes place October 8 – 11 in Anaheim, California. Resources for medical debt collection professions include:
- Over 3,000 healthcare leaders in attendance
- More than 90 sessions
- An opportunity to earn up to 51 hours of educational credits — American College of Medical Practice Executives (ACMPE) credit, Continuing Professional Education (CPE) and Continuing Education units (CEU)
- The ability to earn an additional 14.5 hours of educational credits with Preconference programs
- Specialized networking opportunities with the Consulting and Date 1:1 program and Round Table sessions
Education for Collection Professionals
Conference sessions will be presented in three learning formats. In traditional sessions, a speaker or panel of speakers will conduct a lecture style presentation with a dedicated question-and-answer segment following each event. Guided by an expert, interactive sessions consist of hot topic discussions and case study applications. The 120-minute extended learning sessions combine both traditional and interactive formats and focus exclusively on practice management topics.
With no advance preparation required, sessions are categorized into five learning levels — overview, update, basic, intermediate and advanced. To attend update and intermediate sessions, attendees must have a “fundamental knowledge of medical group practice management.” Advanced sessions require a “working knowledge of medical group practice management.”
The educational schedule follows nine content topics. Practice Transformation – Brave New World discusses how to accurately measure data, highlighting alternative payment models, reimbursement models and strategic partnerships. Practice Efficiencies aims to improve patient care by exploring strategies for efficient operation. Personal Growth and Leadership equips attendees with the tools for powerful leadership and personal professional development. Enhancing the Patient Relationships investigates team-based care solutions. The Independent to Integrated Pendulum features “the options on the continuum from independence to full integration and back as well as all the variations in between.” Human Resources and Staff Engagement presents case studies and other resources to “set the stage” for successful recruiting and employee retention. Federal Laws, Regulations and Advocacy dives in to the ever-changing landscape of healthcare regulations. Government Affairs highlights MGMA’s advocacy efforts and Financial Management explores revenue cycle management (RCM), medical coding, billing and collections.
Financial Management sessions are must-attend events for medical debt collection professionals. A sampling of sessions include:
- Theft-Proofing Your Office: Steps to Mitigate the Risks — with the constant threat of data breaches and information theft, it is impossible to eliminate all risks. Focusing on safeguards to mitigate risks, this session explains why the medical industry is an ideal target for cybercrime. Case studies from across the U.S. will present attendees with real events and possible solutions.
- E-Payment Options That Work — an intermediate and traditional session that looks into the increasing demographic of self-pay patients. Learn how to successfully communicate with consumers to increase collection results and discover the advantages of transparency.
- Billing and Payment Check-Up: What Providers and Patients Really Think — new industry data conducted with medical providers and patients uncovers attitudes towards patient billing and payments. The basic session will train professionals on how to address payment challenges and create action plans.
In addition, Revenue Cycles Round Tables offers valuable information for medical debt collection professionals. The town hall session will discuss revenue cycle management issues including collections policies. Attendees will receive resources on accounts receivable practices with metrics and handouts.
Networking in the 21st Century
MGMA provides multiple avenues for establishing professional connections. Upon registration, attendees will be added to the MGMA17 Discussion Group. Professionals may update their profile and upload a profile picture to connect with peers and professionals prior to the conference. Stay connected on social by following the hashtag #MGMA17 throughout the event. Professionals may also join peers in the Living Room for unstructured discussions.
Medical Debt Collection Solutions
From a list of industry focused sessions to unique networking opportunities, professionals collecting on consumer medical debt will find an assortment of compelling reasons to attend MGMA 2017.
Medical professionals looking to replace an existing debt collection agency or those considering outsourcing collections can entrust Optio Solutions to successfully manage all delinquent consumer accounts. Our agency possesses a strong background in medical collections and offers services on claims follow-up, secondary insurance, patient balances, third-party liability, extended business office, payment monitoring, pre-collection programs and billing services division. Contact Optio today to learn more.